The Avia B-534 aircraft was built around the engine Hispano HS-12Ycrs which Avia bought in 1932. The origins of the aircraft goes to previous design of Frantisek Novotny, Avia B-34. The aircraft had very fine shape, fixed undercarriage and open cockpit.
The aircraft was aproved by Czechoslovak army and the squadrns got the first aircraft in 1934. Further development continued and there were altogether four series, the last more distinctive, with closed cockpit, different position of the coolers and instead of tail skid appeared the wheel.
By the Munchen crises the type was obsolete but after occpation of Czechoslovakia, the Luftwaffe used it for towing, some stayed in Slovak Air Force, some were sold to Hungary and Bulgaria and served as a trainers. During the Slovak National uprising pilot Cipro shot down Ju-52 on one of the remaining B-534, it is supposed to be last victory of the biplane in WWII.
There are no original survivers but in 1970' was one aircraft rebuild by enthusiast and now is on exhibition in Air muzeum in Kbely near Prague, Czech republic and although there are some differences, it serves as a good reference for those who like "wind in wires".
More about Avia B-534 on wikipedia
Back to the Review Page
Back to the Czech aircraft Page